On-Site Optimization: The Meta descriptions and title tags are probably the first things that people read about your website in Google’s search results. They usually read the Meta description before reading your blog. Not only this, the title tags and descriptions play a crucial role in determining how Google will rank your website. That’s why it is important to use relevant keywords in these tags and descriptions. It may help your website in the related searches every time when people are looking researching the products, topics and services your website provides. When it comes to on-site optimization, these factors can magically boost your overall ranking in search engine. Let’s find out together what are title tags and Meta descriptions!
What are the title Tags?
It is the title of your web page that sum up the content found on one page. A title tag will appear in 3 main places including SERP (search engine results pages), browsers and external websites such as Twitter and others. Here’s how the title tag’s code is written:
<Title>your title here</title>
How can you write compelling title tags?
You need to write compelling title tags that will, in turn, boost your site’s ranking. Here’s how to write title tags.
- The title tag must be relevant to the page’s content.
- Use the phrases and main keywords in the title tag and place them close to the front of the title to capture the attention of the audience.
- Avoid keyword stuffing and use the keyword naturally.
- Each page should have a unique title, don’t repeat the same title on another page.
- Add your brand name at the end of a title tag, but your primary focus should be on your message first.
- The maximum character for the title tag should be around 64 characters. If you write more than 64 characters for the title tag, then it will get cut off and appear with an ellipsis.
- If you want to make most out of your content, make your title tag more compelling. It should be interesting enough to attract visitors to click to find out what you are offering.
What is the Meta Description?
It provides a short summary of your content found on the web page. It influences the click-through rates when the search engine shows it in the search results. The Meta description is a chance that gives the visitor a convincing reason to click through to your web page. It gives more space to tell the people what you have to offer than title tags which have very limited space.
Here is an example of Meta description of a fashion page appears in search engine results:
Want to know more about latest fashion trends? Find all the latest fashion news, celebrity styles, designer interviews, fashion trends, red card moments and more here.
How can you write compelling Meta descriptions?
- You must have a unique description for each website page.
- Use a relevant keyword in the description to make it more compelling.
- The character limit for the Meta description is around 154 characters. If the limit exceeds, Google will cut off the extra characters.
- Don’t forget to include the CTA (Call To Action) within the description to give the reader what action to take and what’s in it for them.
On-Site Optimization – Meta Titles and Meta Tags. Sep 25, 2020, Larry O Miller, SEO After Coffee.