Starting a blog in 2021: It seems that nowadays, everyone owns a blog, literally, so if you’re wondering what’s the catch and thinking about starting a blog, you’ve come to the right place. Whether you want to blog for fun or boost your business, there are some basic things about blogging you should be aware of if you’re going to do it right, so let’s start without further ado.
Here are things you Should Know About Starting a Blog
With millions of active bloggers worldwide, the blogging community is vast, and even though for many, it all started as a hobby, sooner or later, blogging became their real full-time job. However, don’t let that idea seduce you so quickly because even as a hobby, blogging requires a lot of dedication and consistency. Listed below are some factors that help you before becoming a successful blogger:
- Consistency is the key,
- SEO is a must,
- It will take a lot more time than you assume,
- It would be best if you stuck to your posting schedule,
- Be present on social media,
- Strive to be unique and don’t copy others.
How to Start a Blog
Many think that blogging is just posting pretty pictures and writing some content, but blogging is so much more and requires a lot more effort than you could even imagine. If you’re ready for such a commitment, you should take some time to plan and organize some of these things first.
Pick a Platform
If you are starting your first blog, WordPress is by far the easiest solution for setting up a blog. Also, learn some basics like, what domain and hosting are, maybe watch a few tutorials, and you’ll be good to go. If you already have a website, ask your designer to add a blog section to your home page and start posting.
Invest in Good Design
Creating your blog’s visual identity doesn’t always have to be expensive. WordPress has loads of free themes that are modern and sleek looking. The goal is that your blog looks contemporary and aesthetically pleasing. That is more important than you could assume, trust us.
Come up With a Good Name
Choosing a name is probably the most creative and time-consuming task of them all. The title should represent you, your brand, it should be a bit catchy, maybe include a word game, so there’s a lot of things that need to click to get that perfect name that is simple yet effective. Take some time for this because changing your blog’s name frequently is not recommended.
Determine Your Niche
Defining a niche is one of the essential first steps. You can always start with some general topics, but your goal should be to narrow down your blog’s field of interest because that way, you’ll manage to attract the correct type of audience or clients that will keep coming back for more.
Define Your Target Audience
Who are you writing to? For example, if we’re talking about parenting, is it just for dads or moms? If it is about moms, are we talking about single moms, working moms, stay-at-home moms, young moms? Every niche has so many “subcategories,” You need to find your audience and create content specifically for them.
Have a Plan
If you want to increase your ROI (return on investment), you can’t approach blogging as something you do for two weeks straight and then take a one-month break because you’re not inspired. Strive to plan and create your content one month in advance, post regularly, choose good quality pictures, and familiarize yourself with some basics of SEO (search engine optimization).
Why Does Your Website Need a Blog?
If you already have a website that is more or less just a static page with information about your business. Your website is barely getting any traffic, which means no one is looking at it. That is where the blog section comes to the rescue. It doesn’t matter if you’re a dentist, mechanic, hairdresser, or makeup artist. Your online presentation needs blogs that will talk about topics related to your field.
Having such content on your website raises your value, gives your clients some precious information. Still, it also helps your website become more visible and rank better on Google, especially if your blogs are optimized in the right way. Here are some briefly summarized benefits of having a blog section on your website:
- Websites with blogs get more traffic. Continuously adding fresh content with relevant keywords and other SEO elements will help your website get closer to Google’s first page. Therefore, receiving more clicks.
- Generating leads. Having traffic is excellent, but now you need to convert some of it into leads. Try adding a call-to-action to each part of your blog. Offer free quotes or subscriptions to a newsletter, anything that will help you get some contact information.
- Building a relationship with your clients. Your blog’s comment section is not something you should neglect. People tend to ask questions, and you should be ready to answer them promptly.
- Boosts your social media. If so far you didn’t know what to post on your business’s social media accounts, now you have blogs to share with your audience. This can also help you gain more web traffic.
- Self-promotion. Writing blogs is a great way to promote your services because, for every problem, you can offer a suitable solution. However, it would help if you did it in a more natural, subtle way. No one likes too obvious and braggart promotions.
Ready to Start Blogging?
You feel like now you know what a good blog should look like and what kind of value it gives to your business, but there’s just one problem. You’re probably very good at what you’re doing, but writing and creating engaging content is not your thing, or you don’t have the time to do it? Don’t fall into despair. Let us share an open secret. Some people and agencies make a living writing a blog articles for people and companies.
Written by: Larry O Miller, Owner of SEO After Coffee, Greenville SC. All rights reserved. | April 3, 2021.